Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Results

As an acuncturist in Canada, I spend half my time treating clients and the rest of it standing there, with my sales jacket on, trying to explain what I do and why it will work. I am not a good salesman. I am not the kind who can sell you a car, or land. I am not a politician, so I´m especially poor at selling ideas. I sold shoes in grade nine, my hair teased in awesome eighties style, but I wasn´t really good at that either, because I would always tell the truth. "You don´t want those shoes, those will fall apart. You want these..."

And so it goes, that when I am trying to sell acupuncture, the subject of proof dominates the conversation. Everyone wants to know if it works. And as I´ve said, I´m an honest gal. They want to know how long til it works and how long will it last etc. To say that clients are sceptical is an understatement. Sometimes they are just curious, sometimes they are defensive and sometimes they are down right rude. But every day, I go to work and there I stand, with my jacket on, and whip out for demonstration the latest models of healing for sale. I don´t mean to sound negative. I knew that becoming an acupuncturist would involve this kind conversation with folks and most days I don´t mind.

I want acupuncture to heal, solve, or fix someone´s problem as much as you do. In Canada, we especially like to fix our problems. Healing is too nebulous a word, fixing, now that really nails it. Problem solved, done. I want that too. I know my clients want it, but I didn´t realize how tied me-myself-and-I had become to it until I performed 161 acupuncture treatments in 12 days on the children and staff of Pajarito Azul.

Here are the results:

one child could not have a bowel movement without an enema and had not had an unassisted bowel movement in a year. Medication proved ineffective. Acupuncture resulted in daily BM´s and no enema was used.

one child with anorexia and epilepsy was seizing 3 times a day. Medication was no longer effective. During treatment, the child only had 2 seizures in 3 weeks and gained a pound.

one child with failure to thrive grew an inch and gained half a pound.

I could go on and on and on. The truth is, the results were amazing and most of them I´m going to keep to myself. Not cause I´m stingy, but out of respect for the 161 experiences that I had the honour of being a part of.

I am really happy with these results. I´m proud of my team. I feel blessed and so honoured to be a part of this. But the truth is, I didn´t fix anybody. Not one child.

But the truth is, I never do.

love andrea

ps. I want to thank all my clients past and present. I am dedicated to your healing paths and I so appreciate your patience with my learning curve. Thanks to everyone who continues to help me grow as an acupuncturist and as a human being. Thanks to my medical team here and at Pajarito Azul. But most of all, thank you to every one of those children. They made me grow up.

1 comment:

Stephen T Berg said...

Andrea, I'd love to see your grade nine picture...

...I'm warmed to the bone, even here in the minus 20, by your stories of the children you've loved and cared for, and how you've channelled healing for every child your eyes rested upon, through your hands full of grace.

Andrea, Here's my take on results:

Let me do this...(from part of a growmercy.org post) to anyone listening here's what Andrea does:

She listens to the motion within you through the tips of her fingers and tells the strength of your ch’i by your colour.

While you lie surrounded by full, accepting colours, she works healing with her needles and her hands.

She gives you essence of oranges and white peonies. And other things that come all the way from China. And tea if you like.

She speaks wisdom to you. The wisdom of listening and living within your body. The wisdom of sleep cycles and daily rhythm.

All the while, she recalls for you your more genuine desires and gently helps you dismiss the phantom duties that exhaust you.

And then when she’s done all this she sends you home with songs.

And you have a glass of wine by a gas fireplace and listen to her voice–powerfully delicate.

And from your eastern window you regard the mystery and mercy of a gathering night.

--

Andrea, may you find your own path carpeted in blessings.

You have already been a blessing to so many. I count myself happy and honoured to be one.

God bless the children,

Steve