Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Photos I took today

Hi, I thought I might just describe our day by telling you about the photos I took today.It was our last day at Parahito Azul and so a sad and yet happy day too. The first one was in the hallway of the orphanage,just Andrea on her last day-refreshed and ready to go-not yet aware of the emotion to come-the goodbyes-the hugs the presents for her and from her.and yes the crying of many.Amanda comes on her way to school-a blind girl that Andrea is treating for headaches-she wants a photo of us with her and so it goes everyone wants photos. I think the idea is that we will send back copies and we will, of course.The next photos is a surpize the staff gives to us with the help of two of the ladies that live there. They dress up in these elaborate bright long dresses and do traditional Nicaragua dances of godbye for us. Now how could you not get tears with this. It was very moving.I take a photo of this young man outside the bars of our clinic.He is moping the floor.Everyday he mops and everyday the cleaning ladies come along behind him and mop again. I presume it is his job. We see many of the orphans working,mostly cleaning but also looking after each other.Andrea has brought a little wading pool from Edmonton. We fill it up with plastic balls and pop in one of the cerebral palsy kids .It allows them to stretch and not get hurt. More of these balls have been donated by -well probably shouldn´t say but great supporters of our cause and thank you.We go to Los Torres,the poorest part of town and I take so many photos-we visit a school, a home of Jania´s friend,a church and I cann´t describe it, but the photos will.It was very humbeling and I feel we just take so much for granted at home.We leave some of the socks,toothbrushes and art supplies with the school to be distributed. The need is so great, I am thankful we brought so much to give away. Last we end our day by going to park way above the city that honors Sandino-the first revolutionary of Nicaragua and it was inspiring to see the whole city-Looking forward to some down time before we head home.Lynda House

No comments: