Saturday, February 3, 2007

Inside

There is water all inside of me. Like I could cry any minute, but also like I could explode and end up washed straight away into the gutter with the plastic and the rest of the garbage. I´m a walking tidal wave. I am trying to carry myself well, keep every one´s spirits up, but with every step, a little water spills over the side.

I thought I understood poverty. I thought of myself as poor, with Visa debt, student loans, and such. But it´s bullshit. I don´t carry my baby to the meridian of the road. I don´t stand with my three year old on the yellow line and hold her up to every passing car. I don´t try to rip car doors open to crawl inside. I wouldn´t kill to eat, kill for fear, kill for a job, kill to be anywhere else.


To see the little kids, the age of my own daughter standing in the road while cars whiz by, is no longer freaking me out. If that happened in Canada, someone would call the cops. Here, she is selling gum, or just begging. I´ve stopped worrying that she will be hit. I don´t look that closely, because I know she´ll be ok. People driving at top speed seem to know that at every intersection, little girls 2 and 3 years old will be standing, perfectly still, waiting.

Today I made jokes in a burger joint, enjoying making my friends laugh, while outside, two kids were passed out near our car. I didn´t stop to wake them up. It´s not safe for me, I cannot call the cops for them. I don´t even speak Spanish, so instead, I make my friends laugh inside the BurgerLoco while they sleep.

At the orphanage, Hector, perhaps the smartest of the orphans, asks me if I will cry when I leave. He tells me through a translator, "Because I´ll cry when you leave... a lot". I tell him yes I will cry for him when I go, I almost start just then, but I keep it inside.

Andrea

4 comments:

Stephen T Berg said...

Oh Andrea, you're beautiful, your heart is a sea, and I'm pierced by your words, and it's right call what we understand as poverty bullshit. And it's right to be angry, and sad, and to feel helpless in the face of it all.

I'm just back from LA (fundraising for the homeless conference) and the last day I'm wandering around Santa Monica and I come across a movie set and I see Paris Hilton being preened and primped.

Can you think of anything as far removed from what your doing and experiencing in Nicaragua?

There's a bizzare kind humour in there someplace.

I came home and played your CD for comfort.

Always rememeber my dear, you are making a dent! By your very presence, you are changing something in the cosmos, if only because you are being changed and graced by the children you care for.

Much love, as always, Steve B.

Unknown said...

I am happy after reading your post. I think it is one of the best Acupuncture blog site from other. The theme of your blog is very beautiful and the article is written very well, I will continue to focus on your article.


Herbs for Menopause

Unknown said...

This post was only helpful with the comment issue, but had also great links to other entertaining blogs. Some of them I will most likely keep visiting!



Acupuncture in Edmonton

Unknown said...

Congratulation to all of you. It is very nice blog site. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many entertaining stuff in your blog, especially its discussion, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work.

Acupuncture Clinic Edmonton