Sunday, January 14, 2007

murcielago

murcielago is the spanish word for bat.

during a recent spanish lesson in canada, my profesora realized that this was a new word for me and she used Batman as example to help me understand the new vocabulary.

for weeks leading up to our trip i refered to chris as "my sweet murcielago", thinking that i was buttering up my comic loving boyfriend by calling him "my sweet superhero", instead i was calling him an ugly flying rodent.

bats and i have a bad history. the last time i was in nicaragua a bat flew up out of the outhouse while i was using it. the bat flew full speed right into my butt. i ran out of the outhouse screaming with my pants around my ankles, much to the delight of the neighborhood children waiting outside. so i have some bat issues.

last night chris and i woke up to a flapping sound in our room. chris's main suspect was the king cockroach that had been hiding out in the bathroom. but no, it was my nemisis, the murcielago. he hid under our bed, and scrurried across the floor. chris wanted to pick him up and put him outside, but i know that those little creatures can carry rabies, and i didnt want chris to risk the bite. so i told the sweet girl downstairs about our problem. she giggled at the silly cheles (white folks) and promptly dealt with the bat. she used a combo "broom handle and heel of her shoe" approach. chris was upset at the violence. am i a bad person for not being upset? peta be damned. i rolled over and fell back asleep.

i hope that people made it out to the big fundraiser last night! was anyone there? i am dying to hear how it went!

take care! the clinic is closer every day!

xoxo
jania

2 comments:

Pamarama said...

Hallo dearest Jania, thanks for your updates and highly amusing tales of adventure and intrigue in Nicaragua! I once had a similar ugly-rodent-under-the-bed experience in Kenya except it was a rat instead of a bat.. ewwww! :P

In any event, I'm so glad you're back in your second home and having a grand time with your sweet superhero. Best of luck with the upcoming clinic and the filming too! Take good care, pam :)

Unknown said...

Hello Lindsay darling and all your wonderful friends. I am relieved and happy to hear that everyone is safely together. My thoughts and prayers are with you all, and I look forward to reading your "blogs" in the upcoming days. Love - Mama BrendaKim